The biggest mistake you can possibly make when making this tapenade recipe is not making sure your olives are pitted before putting them in your food processor or using your favorite chef knife. Ouch!
Folding in the rosemary and basil will keep your tapenade looking bright and vibrant. Remember, never add salt to this condiment as most black kalamata olives are brined.
Suggestions and Alternatives
- If you do not have a food processor pulsing the olives in a blender will work just fine make sure you have some oil in the blender.
- Always fold in basil and rosemary, to much friction heat from the blender or food processor will turn your basil brown.
- If you can't find grapeseed oil, olive oil is another great alternative.
- If you decide you want to add anchovies be sure to rinse them well with cold water before folding them to the tapenade mix.
Olive Tapenade Recipe without Anchovies
- 1/2 pound Kalamata olives pitted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary chopped
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil drissled
- 1 tablespoon black pepper cracked
- 1 whole lemon zested
- 2 tablespoons lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- In a food processor add Kalamata olives and garlic and capers
- pulse on medium for 15 seconds
- transfer to mixing bowl
- fold in, chopped basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped rosemary, black pepper.
- drizzle grapeseed oil to coat.