I've had all sorts of stuffings over the years - classic and traditional stuffings, my mom's attempt at American stuffing using plantains, even Stove Top stuffing. And Eddie makes a mean homemade stuffing that we've enjoyed these last few years. But I asked him to come up a new version for you, a stuffing that would knock you over it's so good. And boy, he did not disappoint. Our (really his) Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing is overflowing with juicy sausage, crisp bacon, and a cornucopia of herbs, seeds, and nuts.
It's like he opened the back door and yelled,"hey fall, jump in my pot!"
So the fragrant herbs will hit your nose first, sage and thyme especially.
Your first bite into the tender french bread will make you wonder why you've never used french bread before.
A spoonful will scoop up the sausage and Applewood bacon, along with crunchy pecans and delicate sunflower seeds.
The pomegranate seeds and the cranberries round out the playscape in your mouth with pops and bursts of fruit.
Tips and Suggestions for your Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing
- Make sure to remove the sausage from its casing. It'll be easier to break up and mix in.
- You can choose any type of sausage like pork or chicken, but choose one that doesn't have a lot of seasoning. You don't want it to clash with the fresh herbs and spices used in the recipe.
- Chicken stock is magic. Do not use water. Store bought is fine. But homemade stock is divine.
Like the recipe? Of course, you do. Even my mother who still doesn't understand stuffing loves it. Pin it, please!
Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing
- 1 yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 strips applewood Bacon, diced
- 1 Italian sausage, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup sage, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 4 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- 4 teaspoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Set Instant Pot to saute.
- Add small diced onion, small dice celery, 1/4 inch sliced bacon and 1/4 inch sliced sausage to Instant Pot.
- After three minutes add olive oil.
- Cook sausage and bacon until fully cooked through.(about 4 minutes).
- Medium dice baguette and add to Instant Pot.
- After 3 minutes add butter and stir constantly.
- After 1 minute add chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley and chives.
- After 20 seconds and add chicken stock.
- Next, fold in dried cranberries, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, Kosher Salt, and ground black pepper.
- Set cooker for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, thyme sprigs, sage and chives.