I've had all sorts of stuffings over the years - classic and traditional stuffings, my mom's attempt at American stuffing using plantains, even Stove Top stuffing. And Eddie makes a mean homemade stuffing that we've enjoyed these last few years. But I asked him to come up a new version for you, a stuffing that would knock you over it's so good. And boy, he did not disappoint. Our (really his) Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing is overflowing with juicy sausage, crisp bacon, and a cornucopia of herbs, seeds, and nuts.
Give the Gift of Flavor this Holiday!
Help make the holidays tasty with a Wanderspice Global Spice Kit Subscription gift. Enjoy 50% off the first delivery. Use code 50off.
Choose either the Vegetarian or Low Carb kit.
It's like he opened the back door and yelled,"hey fall, jump in my pot!"
So the fragrant herbs will hit your nose first, sage and thyme especially.
Your first bite into the tender french bread will make you wonder why you've never used french bread before.
A spoonful will scoop up the sausage and Applewood bacon, along with crunchy pecans and delicate sunflower seeds.
The pomegranate seeds and the cranberries round out the playscape in your mouth with pops and bursts of fruit.
I won't blame you if you skip the turkey altogether and serve the sausage stuffing with our Slow Cooker Spiced Mulled Wine and Mini Carrot Bundt Cakes with Pecan Drizzle for dessert.
Tips and Suggestions for your Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing
- Make sure to remove the sausage from its casing. It'll be easier to break up and mix in.
- You can choose any type of sausage like pork or chicken, but choose one that doesn't have a lot of seasoning. You don't want it to clash with the fresh herbs and spices used in the recipe.
- Chicken stock is magic. Do not use water. Store bought is fine. But homemade stock is divine.
Like the recipe? Of course, you do. Even my mother who still doesn't understand stuffing loves it. Pin it, please!
Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing
- 1 yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 strips applewood Bacon, diced
- 1 Italian sausage, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup sage, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 4 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- 4 teaspoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Set Instant Pot to saute.
- Add small diced onion, small dice celery, 1/4 inch sliced bacon and 1/4 inch sliced sausage to Instant Pot.
- After three minutes add olive oil.
- Cook sausage and bacon until fully cooked through.(about 4 minutes).
- Medium dice baguette and add to Instant Pot.
- After 3 minutes add butter and stir constantly.
- After 1 minute add chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley and chives.
- After 20 seconds and add chicken stock.
- Next, fold in dried cranberries, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, Kosher Salt, and ground black pepper.
- Set cooker for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, thyme sprigs, sage and chives.
Kristen R. says
I love the idea of making stuffing in a slow cooker! What a time & oven space saver. This recipe looks incredible Katherine.
I make traditional bread stuffing cooked in the turkey for Thanksgiving but this looks delicious. I would love to try it as a side dish the stuffing.
That is exactly what I was looking for! I needed something for Thanksgiving that was different! We LOVE stuffing but I wanted something with a different taste!
If you can make it in the slow cooker it worth making. Sorry delicious
Amy D says
This looks way too pretty for a slow cooker recipe!! I totally need to make this for Thanksgiving!
Sarah Honey says
This sounds amazing! I make a similar Sausage Stuffing but never thought to cook it in the slow cooker. Love the touch of pomegranate seeds too.
Amber Myers says
I always love when I can use my slow cooker. This stuffing looks fabulous. I'll be trying it soon!
Claudia Krusch says
I am always looking for new holiday recipes to try. I will have to add this to my recipe list for Thanksgiving. I am sure it will be a big hit.
Liz Mays says
This stuffing would be awesome for our Thanksgiving meal! The bacon, sausage and pomegranate sound good!
This recipe is so beautiful! I love sausage and stuffing so this is a must-try for sure.
Sue Reddel says
I didn't know you could make stuffing in a slow cooker. Your recipe sounds so tasty. Love adding the pomegranates.
Lisa Marie Heath says
It sounds really delicious! And I absolutely LOVE the bright pops of color the pomegranate brings to the dish!
Paula Bendfeldt says
This looks so delicious. I have been looking for a good stuffing recipe and love the combination of sausage and fresh pomegranate!
Bonnie G says
Okay I have to say that is the best stuffing I have ever seen! Your pictures make me want to have a bowl like right now lol. I am definitely making this for Thanksgiving!
Very original. You definitely put a nice spin on traditional stuffing. My boyfriend would love this.
This looks amazing! I'm planning on stuffing inside of a savory pumpkin and baking.
Ohhh!! Stuffed pumpkin! That's a brilliant idea. Let me know how it turns out.
This looks delicious! I am just a little confused about the directions. Is prep the same for whether it's made in an Instant Pot or a slow cooker?
Eddie D'Costa says
Good day Maggie, Great question. Yes, prep is the same whether it is made in an instant pot or a slow cooker.