Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots
When most people think of Autumn, Pumpkin Spice comes to mind. But for me, it’s all about spiced brown sugar… on everything. And a bunch of gorgeous rainbow carrots is divine for a good drenching of a brown sugar spiked with cumin, coriander, and tarragon. Our Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots are both delectably sweet, with a lovely layer of aromatics.
The glaze is butter and orange juice-based which gives the rainbow carrots a full tangy feel, while the addition of the brown sugar imparts a satisfying crunch when well-roasted.
How to Pick the Best Rainbow Carrots
- Always buy carrots with the green tops on. It preserves the overall freshness of the carrot. The greens should be bright and springy.
- Avoid carrots with any soft spots, they should be firm all around and not too easy to bend.
- The surface should be smooth to the touch.
- If you want to serve the rainbow carrots with their green tops, be sure to do so within or a day or two, at most.
- Don’t buy if there is an overgrowth of excessive hairs or any splits or cracks.
How to Freeze and Reheat Roasted Carrots
- It’s challenging to freeze cooked carrots as they turn to mush if left to thaw. So you can either store leftover roasted brown sugar carrots in a plastic container and refrigerate for, at most, a few days.
- If you want to freeze the carrots, wrap them in foil and place in a freezer bag. When serving again roast the frozen carrots immediately or use them in a soup or stew.
Try our recipes with a good helping of brown sugar:
If you’re serving these carrots during Thanksgiving, you can pair them with another fab dish from Vintage Kitty – Brown Sugar Date Roast Turkey. I’m sensing a trend, aren’t you?
Like the recipe? Pin it!
Roasted, glazed, brown sugar carrots
- 2 bunches carrots organic
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice quality
- 1 tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds toasted
- 2 tbs. flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbs. tarragon chopped
- 2 tbs. grapeseed oil quality
- 2 tbs. butter cold
- Wash, trim and peel two bunches rainbow carrots, pat dry and set aside.
- Using a large heavy bottom saute pan over high heat, add grapeseed oil, wait until smoking hot.
- Carefully add six small or four medium carrots at a time, sear until you see light caramelization on all sides.
- Remove from pan and set aside using a folded paper towel.
- Once all carrots are roasted and set aside, clean pan with paper towel and turn heat to medium-low.
- Next, add both cumin seeds and coriander seeds to dry pan and toast until aromatic. About three minutes.
- Add orange juice, light brown sugar, and Kosher salt.
- Reduce on medium heat for three minutes then add carrots.
- Continue to reduce until orange juice has a nappe consistency. Turn off heat.
- Mount in butter, tarragon, and parsley. (Be sure to gently swirl pan around while mounting butter).
- Place carrots in roasting pan and drizzle on brown sugar glaze. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until glaze starts to caramelize.