When most people think of Autumn, Pumpkin Spice comes to mind. But for me, it's all about spiced brown sugar... on everything. And a bunch of gorgeous rainbow carrots is divine for a good drenching of a brown sugar spiked with cumin, coriander, and tarragon. Our Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots are both delectably sweet, with a lovely layer of aromatics.
The glaze is butter and orange juice-based which gives the rainbow carrots a full tangy feel, while the addition of the brown sugar imparts a satisfying crunch when well-roasted.
How to Pick the Best Rainbow Carrots
- Always buy carrots with the green tops on. It preserves the overall freshness of the carrot. The greens should be bright and springy.
- Avoid carrots with any soft spots, they should be firm all around and not too easy to bend.
- The surface should be smooth to the touch.
- If you want to serve the rainbow carrots with their green tops, be sure to do so within or a day or two, at most.
- Don't buy if there is an overgrowth of excessive hairs or any splits or cracks.
Give the Gift of Flavor this Holiday!
Help make the holidays tasty with a Wanderspice Global Spice Kit Subscription gift. Enjoy 50% off the first delivery. Use code 50off.
Choose either the Vegetarian or Low Carb kit.
How to Freeze and Reheat Roasted Carrots
- It's challenging to freeze cooked carrots as they turn to mush if left to thaw. So you can either store leftover roasted brown sugar carrots in a plastic container and refrigerate for, at most, a few days.
- If you want to freeze the carrots, wrap them in foil and place in a freezer bag. When serving again roast the frozen carrots immediately or use them in a soup or stew.
Suggestions and Alternatives
Fresh tarragon might be a challenging to find, depending on where you live. We complied a list of tarragon substitutes to help.
Try our recipes with a good helping of brown sugar:
If you're serving these carrots during Thanksgiving, you can pair them with another fab dish from Vintage Kitty - Brown Sugar Date Roast Turkey. I'm sensing a trend, aren't you?
Like the recipe? Pin it!
Brown Sugar Carrots
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 bunches carrots
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Wash, trim and peel 2 bunches rainbow carrots, pat dry and set aside.
- Using a large heavy bottom saute pan over high heat, add grape seed oil.
- After 2 minutes add 6 medium carrots at a time, sear until you see light caramelization on all sides (about 4 minutes).
- Remove carrots and set aside on a folded paper towel.
- Once all carrots are roasted and set aside, wipe pan clean and turn heat to medium-low.
- Add both cumin seeds and coriander seeds to dry pan and toast until aromatic. About 3 minutes.
- Add orange juice, light brown sugar, and Kosher salt.
- Reduce on medium heat for 3 minutes then add carrots.
- Continue to reduce until orange juice has a nappe consistency.
- Turn off heat.
- Mount in butter, tarragon, and parsley. (Be sure to gently swirl pan around while mounting butter).
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place carrots in roasting pan and coat with brown sugar glaze.
- Roast in oven for 10 minutes or until glaze starts to caramelize.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.