Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots [Spice Glaze]
Lovely and delicate rainbow carrots spice up for the season with a brown sugar glaze spiced with cumin, coriander and tarragon.
Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots
When most people think of Autumn, Pumpkin Spice comes to mind. But for me, it’s all about spiced brown sugar… on everything. And a bunch of gorgeous rainbow carrots is divine for a good drenching of a brown sugar spiked with cumin, coriander, and tarragon. Our Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots are both delectably sweet, with a lovely layer of aromatics.
The glaze is butter and orange juice-based which gives the rainbow carrots a full tangy feel, while the addition of the brown sugar imparts a satisfying crunch when well-roasted.
How to Pick the Best Rainbow Carrots
- Always buy carrots with the green tops on. It preserves the overall freshness of the carrot. The greens should be bright and springy.
- Avoid carrots with any soft spots, they should be firm all around and not too easy to bend.
- The surface should be smooth to the touch.
- If you want to serve the rainbow carrots with their green tops, be sure to do so within or a day or two, at most.
- Don’t buy if there is an overgrowth of excessive hairs or any splits or cracks.
How to Freeze and Reheat Roasted Carrots
- It’s challenging to freeze cooked carrots as they turn to mush if left to thaw. So you can either store leftover roasted brown sugar carrots in a plastic container and refrigerate for, at most, a few days.
- If you want to freeze the carrots, wrap them in foil and place in a freezer bag. When serving again roast the frozen carrots immediately or use them in a soup or stew.
Try our recipes with a good helping of brown sugar:
If you’re serving these carrots during Thanksgiving, you can pair them with another fab dish from Vintage Kitty – Brown Sugar Date Roast Turkey. I’m sensing a trend, aren’t you?
Like the recipe? Pin it!
Roasted, glazed, brown sugar carrots
Tenderly roasted rainbow carrots with brown sugar spiced glaze.
- 2 bunches carrots organic
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice quality
- 1 tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds toasted
- 2 tbs. flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbs. tarragon chopped
- 2 tbs. grapeseed oil quality
- 2 tbs. butter cold
Wash, trim and peel two bunches rainbow carrots, pat dry and set aside.
Using a large heavy bottom saute pan over high heat, add grapeseed oil, wait until smoking hot.
Carefully add six small or four medium carrots at a time, sear until you see light caramelization on all sides.
Remove from pan and set aside using a folded paper towel.
Once all carrots are roasted and set aside, clean pan with paper towel and turn heat to medium-low.
Next, add both cumin seeds and coriander seeds to dry pan and toast until aromatic. About three minutes.
Add orange juice, light brown sugar, and Kosher salt.
Reduce on medium heat for three minutes then add carrots.
Continue to reduce until orange juice has a nappe consistency. Turn off heat.
Mount in butter, tarragon, and parsley. (Be sure to gently swirl pan around while mounting butter).
Place carrots in roasting pan and drizzle on brown sugar glaze. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until glaze starts to caramelize.