Nước chấm – Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Nước chấm brings has sweet, salty and spicy notes. Perfect for spring rolls.
Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Nước chấm is one of the most used and well-known condiments in Vietnam, made mostly of fish sauce and lime juice it also has some sugar, chilies, and garlic. As with most countries and their favorites recipes, they vary by region. Our recipe is the South Vietnamese variation, adding coconut water for bit more sweetness, which helps to round out the heat for the chiles.
Never make Nước chấm in advance. It just won’t keep for more than a few hours. Because of its simplicity, it is best made and used the same day.
These spring rolls have cucumbers, mung bean sprouts, and mint. Simple, healthy, and light, they make the perfect spring or summer appetizer. Although it is not recommended to make the dipping sauce ahead of time, these spring rolls can be prepared at least three hours before serving but should be wrapped in a damp cloth and refrigerated as soon as they are made.
Suggestions and Alternatives
- If you cannot find palm sugar, white sugar or cane sugar can be substituted.
- Coconut water is not necessary. Filtered cold water is just fine.
- Rice wine vinegar can be removed from the ingredients completely, but you must use lime juice
- Sesame oil makes a great non-traditional addition to this recipe, try it out sometime
- Depending on your tolerance for heat you’ll want to moderate the amount added.
Like the recipe? Pin it!
Nước chấm- Spicy Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
This Vietnamese Dipping Sauce has sweet, salty, spicy notes. Perfect for spring rolls, it makes a great spring or summer time appetizer.
Nước chấm - Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/8 cup coconut water
- 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1/8 cup palm sugar
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 red birds eye chiles chopped
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp scallions finely chopped
in a large bowl, add palm sugar and dissolve with coconut water
add fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, and lime juice
fine mince 2 garlic cloves
slice 4 red birds eye chiles paper thin
whisk all together for 1 minute