Healthy Beef and Broccoli
When I used to live in NYC and before I met Eddie, I ordered Beef and Broccoli at least twice a week. There’s an old episode of Sex and the City that exposes a similar shame. Yes, they knew me when I called and the main delivery guy knew I liked extra fortune cookies, too. However, I can only imagine how much MSG I consumed and now I certainly don’t want it for myself, but especially not for the kids. So Eddie whipped this Healthy Beef and Broccoli version to satiate my still-present cravings.
There’s a couple of ways Eddie vamped up the recipe to make it a healthier version for us.
Starting with the beef cut, you can make some pretty wise choices in cutting out fat content, but also those nasty antibiotics and hormones in traditionally grain-fed beef.
He chose a grass-fed flank steak and let it marinate for longer than usual to ensure a tender bite.
So MSG is the dirty secret in the processed food and restaurant industry. The stuff makes everything taste good but gets you addicted to wanting more of it. However, over time, it can wreck some serious havoc to your body and overall well-being.
As adults, we can probably withstand the chemical abuse, but I’m not going let me kids anywhere near it.
So how can you make a homemade beef and broccoli dish taste just as good? Spices, baby, spices.
The sesame oil starts the party right, and the garlic, ginger, soy sauce keep it going, but it’s the light brown sugar and the sambal that make it an epic night.
Choose a clean cut of beef, organic broccoli, and the right spices. Cook it with some love and you’ll never order takeout again.
A fluffy bowl of white rice really does make the dish. Our friends at Foodal have a great guide to the best rice cookers to make sure your rice dishes come out fantastic every time.
Other Healthy Wanderspice Recipes:
- Mexican Steak Tacos
- Thai Chicken Coconut Soup
- Dragon Fruit Salad
- Easy Sweet Corn Salsa
- Acquacotta – Traditional Tuscan Soup
Like this Recipe? Pin it, please!
Healthy Beef and BroccoliPrint Pin Rate
Ingredients for Beef and Broccoli
- 1 lb. Flank Steak quality
- 2 cups Broccoli
- 4 tbs. Ginger minced
- 1 tbs. Garlic minced
- 1/2 tbs. Light Brown Sugar
- 2 1/2 tbs. Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper ground
- 1 tbs. Sambal Chili Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tbs. Canola Oil
- 3 tbs. Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Water
Instructions for Beef and Broccoli
- Julienne flank steak about one-inch slices and season with Kosher salt.
- Cut broccoli into small florets
- Using a large heavy bottom saute pan over high heat (about four minutes) add canola oil and sesame oil.
- Wait for light smoke (about two minutes) then add flank steak.
- Saute for two minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and continue to cook for two more minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, garlic, light brown sugar, Sambal Chili paste and soy sauce.
- In a separate bowl add cornstarch and water stir until all cornstarch has dissolved to make a slurry.
- Slowly add slurry to beef and broccoli and stir continuously for three minutes until all has thickened.
- Shut off heat and serve immediately over fluffy white rice. Enjoy.
- If slurry is too thick add small amounts of water until you get the consistency you like. Sauce should have a smooth glossy sheen.