Greek cooks have so perfected their sauces and dressings, you can dunk anything, and it's going to taste amazing. For our take on a Greek Cucumber Salad, we elevate the dressing and make it the star.
The salad dressing is very close to Tzatziki sauce used in Greek cuisine, which is a very common condiment. The difference is I like just a hint a sweetness to make the other savory flavors pop, by adding a touch of either honey or agave. The right amount makes it unique and adds so much to the salad.
This is a perfect summer salad that goes well with a nice chilled glass of Pinot Grigio. The grape tomatoes, diced cucumbers, and romaine leaves make this one of the simplest summer salads ever. A fresh squeeze of lemon is the ideal finishing touch.
If you'd like to make your Greek Cucumber Salad more of a meal than a side dish, you can add grilled chicken or shrimp. I suggest serving it on the side, though and not on top of the salad. The heat of the protein will just wilt the beautiful crisp romaine leaf and muddle the yogurt sauce.
Falls in love with grilled lamb or fresh fish
Stir memories of whitewashed walkways on the Isle of Ios
In the spice chest, you'll find dill and garlic
Suggestions and Alternatives:
- You can add your diced cucumbers to the yogurt sauce ahead of time. Any leftover cucumbers can keep in the yogurt sauce overnight.
- Be sure to keep your romaine lettuce washed with cold water and refrigerated.
- Grape tomatoes can substitute for Roma or even vine ripe tomatoes.
- You can use croutons but be sure you make them fresh the same day.
- For another Mediterranean salad, try our Panzanella Salad.
Like the recipe? Pin it!
Greek Cucumber Salad
- 2 heads romaine chopped
- 2 whole english cucumbers diced
- 2 tablespoons dill dried
- 2 tablespoons honey quality
- 2 tablespoons olive oil quality
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt quality
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon red onion minced
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- In a medium size, bowl add Greek yogurt, Kosher salt, honey, dill, minced red onion, juice of 1 lemon and garlic.
- Whisk until all are incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to plate.
- Trim the ends off an English cucumber and peel four strips lengthwise. Cut in half, then half again to get even 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add diced cucumbers to yogurt dressing and gently fold until all cucumbers are completely covered in dressing. Refrigerate.
- Take two heads romaine lettuce, remove top 4 layers. Wash well with cold water and pat dry.
- Using only the bottom half of the romaine 1 inch from the base or "the heart" of the romaine, cut 3-inch length sections.Try and keep them together as pictured.
- Wash then slice your grape tomatoes in half and either reserve on the side or toss it all up together. Do not season with salt.
- You can plate each salad individually as pictured, or you can toss it all together and serve it family style.
- Be sure to drizzle just enough olive oil over the finished plate and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Did you like the recipe?