Cold Sesame Noodles [with Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce]
Our version of the traditional Sichuan dish combines egg noodles with a spicy Thai peanut sauce. Like the original, the sauce should be fiery and not cloying. And because toasted sesame paste isn’t the easiest ingredient to find, the spicy Thai peanut sauce does the egg noodles proper justice. So consider our Cold Sesame Noodles a true Asian hybrid.
Sesame oil is easier to find, so combined with peanut butter and coconut milk, the blend gives the overall dish a unique, earthy flavor that plays well with herbaceous cilantro and cucumber.
As for the egg noodle itself, don’t expect pasta. The noodle should be firmer, thicker and denser than its traditional Italian counterpart. The peanut sauce coats the noodles better, and density means the noodles won’t turn into mush.
Suggestions and Alternatives
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before preparing.
- For those with peanut allergies, you could try a cashew or almond butter, but the texture won’t be anywhere near as smooth, and you’ll lose the smokiness that the peanuts impart to the sauce.
- Be sure to have an ice bath on hand. You’ll want to shock the egg noodles to stop the cooking process.
Like the recipe? Pin it!
Cold Sesame Noodles
Asian style cold sesame noodles dressed with a spicy Thai peanut sauce
Cold Sesame Noodles
- 1/2 lb. egg noodles dry
- 1 12oz can coconut milk
- 1- 1/2 tbs. peanut butter creamy
- 2 birds eye chilies
- 3 tbs. sesame oil quality
- 3 tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 tbs. ginger minced
- 2 tbs. soy sauce quality
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbs. water cold
- 5 tbs. cilantro chopped
- 3 tbs. lemon zest micro-fined
- 5 tbs. sweet chili sauce quality
- 1 English cucumber batoned
- 1 scallion julienned
Instructions for Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce
In a small sauce pan add 1 - 12 oz. can coconut milk
- add 1 and 1/2 tbs. creamy peanut butter
- on low heat fold until incorporated
then add 3 tbs. light brown sugar and 2 birds eye chilies and fold until incorporated
- then add 3 tbs. sesame oil, 2 tbs. soy sauce, 2 tbs. grated ginger and 1/2 clove of grated garlic. fold until incorporated
- add 5 tbs. sweet chile sauce, 5 tbs. chopped cilantro and 3 tbs. lemon zest.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and check for consistency.
if your sauce is too thick and clumpy, fold in 2 tbs. cold water.
(do not refrigerate).
Instructions for Egg Noodles
bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil
add egg noodles and let cook for 9 minutes
strain noodles and shock them in ice water for 5 minutes, then strain and set aside
Instructions for Plating
add 1 peeled and baton cucumber, about one to two inches of English cucumber and transfer to a large bowl
fold in your peanut sauce using a rubber spatula
add your cold egg noodles in 1/2 batches
gently fold 1 julienne scallion to each half
using a wide fork, twist the noodles with peanut sauce "Italian Style" over a plate. drizzle more peanut sauce on top
garnish with scallions