One simple ingredient will take delectable dark chocolate cupcakes and turn them into Black Magic Cupcakes, darkly mystical treats that'll mesmerize on every Halloween night.
Yes, the cupcakes are a true black which we highlighted with tiny edible silver sprinkles.
We used Americolor Food Color - Super Black to achieve the right color for both the cupcake and the buttercream. You'll want to make sure your original batter is as dark as possible. Otherwise, if you try to mix the food color with a yellow cake, for example, it'll turn out gray or you'll end up using way too much of the food coloring.
Warning, this stuff can get everywhere if you're not careful. Once speck on your fingers will leave your countertops looking like a dusted fingerprint crime scene. Fitting for Halloween, but a pain to clean.
A little silver lustre dust at the edges of the cupcake help to highlight the rich black dressing right above it.
Another warning and this may certainly thrill the kids, the cupcakes will stain your mouth and lips completely. You may not even need Halloween makeup.
Other Wanderspice Halloween Recipes:
You're mesmerized by this recipe. You'll pin it now, won't you?
Black Magic Halloween Cupcakes
- 8 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Super Black incrementally
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 pinches silver sprinkles
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Line a standard-size muffin pan with baking cup liners.
- Line a standard-size muffin pan with baking cup liners.
- Melt the butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a medium (heat proof) bowl place on top a saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until smooth.Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl to combine.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl to combine, add the sugar, vanilla and salt, whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Sift about one-third of the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined, whisk in the sour cream then sift the remaining flour mixture over the batter and whisk until homogenous and thick.
- Stir in two tablespoons of Super Black. Add more in teaspoon increments until you achieve the desired black color.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, bake for 18-20 minutes rotating the pan half way through the baking time. Makes eight cupcakes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool about 15 minutes before Icing.
Instructions for Black Buttercream
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter at medium-high speed until smooth. about 20 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract into the butter and combine at medium-high speed for about 15 seconds.
- Add confectioners sugar and salt, on medium-low for about 45 seconds, scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy about three minutes scraping down the bowl once or twice.
- Add 10 drops of Super Black and blend again until incorporated. Judge color and add more if necessary.
- Add mix to a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice and pipe using small circles onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with silver sprinkles.