Authentic Spanish Aioli Recipe
This tangy lemon and bold garlic aioli is perfect over fish and vegetables. And it is a special delight on poached eggs.
Authentic Spanish Aioli recipe
If I were to tell a Spaniard that our Authentic Spanish Aioli recipe has egg yolks they’d throw me into the Mediterranean. But, for the home cook, two itty-bitty egg yolks will save you a whole lot of time and a whole lot of oil. However, we made sure to make our recipe garlicky enough to please even the staunchest Spaniard.
To get your Spanish aioli just right, good technique is critical. I can’t express how important it is to whisk in your grapeseed oil very slowly, if you’re using a mixer be sure to set it on medium low. After one minute stop the blender, let it rest for 30 seconds then continue.
Make sure your garlic is minced well, almost pureed. Micro-fine your lemons so that it incorporates evenly throughout your aioli. Zest is fine but will leave large chunks behind. Be sure to season only with Kosher salt.
See how smooth that is? Now imagine that poured over a pair of poached eggs. But to enjoy it so, yes, even the Spanish will be pleased, add the sauce to either grilled lamb or vegetables.
Katherine’s Take: I’ve enjoyed Eddie’s Spanish Aioli for years. He makes it on a whim and we’re covered with good meals at least for several days. But keep in mind that you’re making this fresh, no preservatives, so don’t let it sit very long in the fridge.
Suggestions and Alternatives
- This version of Spanish Aioli works well with Chilean Sea bass, Halibut, Flounder or just about any white fish
- If you don’t have grapeseed oil, olive oil can be substituted.
- Want to elevate this Aioli, try adding a pinch of saffron. If you decide to splurge be sure to add the saffron to the lemon juice and let it sit 15 minutes before adding it to your egg yolks.
- Do not heat the Aioli, this will cause it to break or separate.
Authentic Spanish Aioli
This Authentic Spanish Aioli is very versatile, try it with asparagus, poached eggs or over seared Chilean Sea bass.
Authentic Spanish Aioli
- 5 cloves garlic puree
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard quality
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 egg yolks farm fresh
- 1 1/2 cups grape seed oil quality
- 1 teaspoons. kosher salt light coarse
In a large bowl add 2 egg yolks and Dijon mustard.
Whisk until both are incorporated.
Add minced garlic and slowly and start incorporating grape seed oil slowly while whisking, adding the oil slowly is very important.
After adding about 1 cup of grape seed oil, add the juice of 2 lemons.
Continue adding rest of grape seed oil and let rest for 1 minute.
Fold in micro-fined lemon zest and kosher salt.